DIY Vehicle Armour (stops an AK-47) Part 3: Examination


Hi everyone, my name is Szabolcs and you are
watching the final part of my vehicle armour project. If you haven’t seen the first two
episodes, please take some time and watch them now, because I’m going to refer to lots
of things that happened in them. Let’s get started!
I disassembled the smaller ceramic plate first. The white discoloration indicates the forces
created by the bullets. This is the shot that penetrated, and this is it’s pair, which didn’t.
You can see the rod still inside the channel. Let’s turn it over. I sped up some clips to
keep this video as compact as possible. I quickly freed the front steel plate from the
plastic and duct tape, and a funny sight welcomed me. There were most of the bullets we shot
at the plate. Some of them were even on its original place. Here’s the moment that makes
me very proud. It looks exactly the same as I predicted. Individual tiles had been damaged,
but the overall structure is still functional. Remember when I said I hope the force of the
impact won’t break off the ceramic mesh? Well, it did, but that meant I could easily remove
it. Here’s the back side. Under that there was
some ceramic dust and bullets catched by the fiberglass. It’s important to mention, that
on the footage, I’m doing this for the first time, so after revealing the mosaics, I was
genuinely suprised how good it stood against the projectiles.
And now let’s see the marble plate. Below the plastic I found some bullet parts
too, mostly from the Glock and Skorpion. This is the place of the multiple hit capacity
test. The back of the front plate looked like a terrain map, but in fact only the AK-47
and Dragunov was able to puncture the steel. I started examining the area of the bigger
calibers, because the small ones didn’t really do anything at all. I found some case sharpnels
in the entry hole, but it went straight through. What you see now is me tearing up the silicone
cover to check how the neighbouring pieces took the shock. This is right next to where
the seven point sixty two by fifty four R hit. The conclusion is simple and reassuring.
Only those pieces were destroyed that got directly hit. Even the ones right next to
them had little to no damage, as you see. I couldn’t really measure the bullet channels
because they were filled with marble dust. The
situation around the AK hits were very similar.
These pieces broke away as they were placed at the bottom edge. This was a slightly better
place to check the entry holes. And here’s the most interesting part at the
backing plate. This rod somehow got through, but stuck in the steel. Here’s a comparsion.
These are both the steel rods of the AK ammunition, except the one on the left is the one that
penetrated the ceramic plate. We picked it up from the ground. It deformed quiet a lot,
and the men from the range told me that this is how it usually looks like. However, in
my hand you can see the same rod in its intact form. I’m not sure why it kept its original
form. These are the exit holes. It doesn’t look like it’s been shot nineteen
times, does it? I was curious, as always, so I looked below the protecting silicone
layer. It was dust and broken tiles, but none of the bullets reached the surface of the
fiberglass. It is a bit contradictionary, that while this structure can easily stop
smaller calibers, by using only a layer of steel and ceramics, it is not strong enough
to catch full sized rounds even with the added fiberglass. Before this experiment I thought
the difference won’t be this big. But there is always place for improvement. The conception
works, but I should find better materials and better layering order.
Finally, I put in these pictures showing a ricocheted bullet and some other parts.
Thank you for joining me in this project, it was an interesting one. Stay tuned for
more of these, although I don’t have a definitive upload schedule yet. Currently I have other
priorities, but after the final exams I’ll focus on content producing with extra effort.
You can expect a new video in every two or three weeks, and some smaller projects in
the mean time. I appreicate your support wether it is subscribing or sharing my videos. Thanks
for watching, see you next time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *